Sinner banishes Roland Garros demons to de-throne Alcaraz at Wimbledon

  




When Jannik Sinner arrived at three match points in the fourth set of his Wimbledon final against Carlos Alcaraz on Sunday, the memory of what happened five weeks ago in Paris was flashing through the minds of everyone inside Centre Court.

Everyone, perhaps, except world number one Sinner, who managed to banish any lurking demons from the darkest recesses of his brain to seal a 4-6 6-4 6-4 6-4 victory and become the first Italian Wimbledon singles champion.
Just as on the Parisian clay, 23-year-old Sinner was the better player for long periods. Just as at Roland Garros, he had the title in his hands.
But unlike that day when three consecutive match points vanished in the fourth set and Alcaraz roared back to win the longest French Open final ever, this time the ice-cool Sinner was never going to be denied.
Alcaraz, who was bidding to become only the fifth man in the professional era to win three successive Wimbledon titles under the watchful eye of Spain's King Felipe in the Royal Box, saved one match point.
But this time, there was no escape for Alcaraz as Sinner fired down an unreturnable serve.
There were no ecstatic celebrations either. Sinner raised his arms to the sky, before consoling the man he de-throned and headed off in time-honoured fashion to embrace those in his box.
"Back in the days when I was young, this was only a dream, because it was so far away from where I'm from," the man from the Dolomites, who could have become a top skier, said on court.
"Emotionall,y I had a very tough loss in Paris. So I'm very happy that I held my nerves and yeah, it's an amazing feeling."
It was Sinner's fourth Grand Slam trophy and his first title since returning from a short doping ban after testing positive for a banned substance, which inadvertently entered his system from a member of his support team through massages and sports therapy.
While Sunday's duel contained some mind-boggling points, it lacked the twists of last month's Roland Garros roller-coaster.
It did, though, underline why the Sinner-Alcaraz rivalry is set to dominate men's tennis for the foreseeable future.
Since the start of 2024, they have won all seven of the Grand Slams on offer, Sinner four and Alcaraz three.
Alcaraz had led their series 8-4 before Sunday, including winning their last five showdowns. So while Sinner was fueled by a shot at redemption, he also needed to buck that trend.
He did so with a superlative display of craft and skill. He refused to be knocked off track by losing the last four games of the first set and went on to pick apart Alcaraz's game with a level of tennis his opponent could not match.

GREAT RIVALRY

"Every time we play against each other, I think our level is really high," Alcaraz, who suffered his first loss in six Grand Slam finals, said. "I don't see any players playing against each other, having the level that we are playing.
"Really grateful for this (rivalry) because it allows me to give my 100% every practice, every day. The level I have to maintain if I want to beat Jannik is really high."
But for Alcaraz's astonishing comeback in Paris, Sinner would now hold all four Grand Slam titles, having won last year's U.S. Open and a second Australian Open in January.
Sinner did benefit from a stroke of luck when Grigor Dimitrov retired while two sets up in the fourth round.
"He caught a break, no question," his coach Darren Cahill admitted.
But from that point on, Sinner barely put a foot wrong.
Alcaraz, below his best, was always vulnerable to Sinner's crisp, early ball-striking, but still hit back from a slow start and clinched the first set with a stretching backhand sliced winner from an impossible position.
Sinner grabbed an early break in the second, though, and consolidated it despite a bizarre moment when a Champagne cork popped and landed on the court -- prompting loud boos.
Just as Alcaraz sealed the opening set in style, Sinner produced a moment of magic to take the second, whipping an audacious forehand winner at full elastic stretch.
The third set felt crucial, and after a lull, it was Alcaraz who blinked, dropping serve at 4-4 after a slide and slip on the baseline allowed Sinner to guide away a winner.
Sinner held serve to move one set from history, but after what happened in Paris, the finishing line still felt far away.
But the usual Alcaraz exuberance was missing, and he was scowling after Sinner clubbed away a backhand winner off a short second serve to gain an early break in the fourth, and his mood darkened as Sinner held serve for a 4-2 lead with a net cord.
Sinner survived a huge test of his nerve at 4-3, 15-40 when a break may have re-ignited Alcaraz, but he showed remarkable composure to take the next four points.
The biggest examination came at 5-4, though with Sinner obliged to serve for the title, and he passed it with barely a backward glance.
In the day's appetiser, eighth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Elise Mertens beat Hsieh Su-wei and Jelena Ostapenko 3-6, 6-,2 6-4 in the women's doubles final.

 Kate, the Princess of Wales, returned to Wimbledon on Sunday along with her husband, Prince William, and two of their children to watch the men’s final between Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner.

Kate is the patron of the All England Club and presented the winner’s trophy to Sinner after he beat Alcaraz 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 on Centre Court. The princess has been gradually resuming her public duties following cancer treatment and was at Wimbledon for a second straight day. On Saturday, she attended the women’s final and gave champion Iga Swiatek her prize after a 6-0, 6-0 victory and offered consoling words to runner-up Amanda Anisimova.

On Sunday, the British royals were joined by King Felipe VI of Spain, several former Wimbledon champions, and a slew of Hollywood celebrities.

Actors Keira Knightley, Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, and John Lithgow were all seated in the Royal Box, as was London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

William and Kate arrived at the All England Club together with their oldest son, Prince George, and daughter Princess Charlotte. Before the men’s final, they spent some time chatting with Julian Cash and Lloyd Glasspool, who on Saturday became the first all-British duo in 89 years to win the men’s doubles title at Wimbledon.

After the trophy presentation, Sinner had a lengthy talk with the royals in a room inside the tournament’s main stadium.

Kate called his victory “seriously inspiring and impressive” after introducing the Italian to her children.

“Do you also play some tennis?” Sinner, still holding the golden trophy, asked George and Charlotte.

“Yeah,” the 11-year-old George replied.

Sinner later signed tennis balls for both children.

Sinner said in his post-match news conference, “It was a very nice moment.”

“I believe for us tennis players, it’s so nice to have them watching us because it makes it even more special,” Sinner said. “You see how much they care about tennis and the sport itself. It’s very, very prestigious.”

Last year, while recovering from cancer, Kate did not attend the women’s final but was on hand for Alcaraz’s win against Novak Djokovic at the All England Club.

This week, she also welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron during a state visit to Britain.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post