Why Most People Hate 9 — 5 Jobs


A 9 — 5 Job is done during regular working hours for someone else usually in an office. Some people say it is “modern-day slavery” — a road to Mediocrity.

Statistics show more than 70% of 9 — 5 workers are unhappy at their jobs with most of them looking forward to the close of each day, and ultimately the end of the month for you know what, lol. A global poll was also conducted by Gallup and it uncovered that out of the world’s one billion full-time workers, only 15% of people are engaged at work. Leaving a significant 85% unhappy at their jobs.

For many today, the toughest part of a 9 — 5 is going through each day without hitting someone in the face. Others say it is the constant fear of getting fired not because you are not good at your job, but because someone who “makes the decisions” about who stays or not, doesn’t like you no more,

The extended office hours they cannot do because they have other real-life situations to attend to which will affect their grading at the end of the year or so. For others, it’s having to deal with colleagues who do not see you as their “equal” and say you ought to be quiet when they speak. Never heard? well, just so you know, no one in the workplace is immune to hierarchy but the boss, and the lower you are in that rank, the more miserable your life is.

For some it is the office politics they do not want to take part in, for others it is having to do the same thing day after day with little or no room to make changes.

Others say it comes with a lot of pressure and it tends to reduce their overall efficiency. Some people say simply cannot be up at 9 am to go to the office. It’s a never-ending list, but the above-mentioned are common to a majority.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of so many people today which is why a lot are becoming self-employed today, starting their ventures, and all. Entrepreneurship no doubt has become the escape route for those who do not want to go through a 9 — 5 Job. Yes, it is truly a 9 — 5 Job gives us access to a work community, stable income, possibility of switching off amongst others but the real question is which do you prefer?

You also should remember, like entrepreneurship, a 9 — 5 has its setbacks and perks too.

Proposed ways to deal with the challenges that come with a 9 — 5 Job

Dealing with the challenges will not happen overnight. It will take time, intentionality, and the right attitude. Remember we all deal with challenges differently but for what it is worth, consider these:

  • Know you’re not alone and do not hesitate to ask for help
  • Do not take things too personal
  • Remember it is only for a while
  • Stand up for yourself when you can
  • Relax

If you ask me, I’d say if you can handle both entrepreneurship and a 9–5, go for it. If you can’t, go where you can handle the pressures and raise a toast when you hit those milestones. Nobody said it’s easier on either side. Remember the grass is greener only where you water it.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post